ELLSWORTH PUBLIC SCHOOL
REGULAR SCHOOL BOARD MEETING
Monday, October 21, 2013
The regular school board meeting was called to order by Chairman Cliff Schilling at 8:30 p.m. A roll call revealed all members present except Tracy Schultz & Jeff Boltjes.
Staff present: George Berndt, John Widvey, Darcey Groen, James Jarvie & Jordon Peters.
Visitors present: Mike Deutsch, Julie Kramer, Jean Onken, Dana Herman, Amy Leuthold, Nancy Popkes, Dawn Meester, Becca Dreesen, Chad Dreesen, Amber Leuthold, Polly Timmer, & Mary Boom.
A motion was made by Goedken and seconded by Kruse to approve the minutes of the regular meeting held on September 16, 2013. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Schilling and seconded by Goedken to approve all bills and claims. Motion carried.
The Board of Education reviewed the Student Activity Fund.
The Board of Education reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. A motion was made by Kruse and seconded by Goedken to approve the Treasurer’s Report. Motion carried.
Mr. Berndt reported on the following items:
1. Presented contracts with Paraprofessionals: Carrie Borman, Crystal Domeyer, Merrily Hinrichs, Amber Swanson, & Krystal Hinrichs.
A motion was made by Schilling and seconded by Werner to approve these Paraprofessional contracts. Motion carried.
2. The Kindergarten – 6th grade students attended a fire prevention presentation sponsored by the Ellsworth Fire Department.
3. The 5th grade class attended a Kindness Retreat sponsored by the Integration Collaborative.
4. The fall play will be November 7 & 8.
5. Presented fuel oil bids. The bid was awarded to Popkes for 4000 gallons.
6. Presented information on ACT scores and how Ellsworth compares with the state scores and also the national scores.
7. Chairman Schilling read a resignation submitted by George Berndt, Principal/Superintendent, effective at the end of the 2013-2014 school year.
A motion was made by Schilling and seconded by Goedken to accept the resignation submitted by George Berndt, Principal/Superintendent. A roll call vote was taken. Voting yes: Schilling, Werner, Goedken, & Kruse. Voting no: none. Motion carried.
8. Dave Goedken reported on the following items:
b. Oxi Blast system
Financial Consultant John Widvey presented the following items:
1. Presented information on the food service equipment. This will be installed during the Christmas break.
2. Presented information on the stage curtains.
3. Mr. Widvey will be making some revisions to the 13-14 budget and will have that information at the November board meeting.
4. Presented information on hand dryers. School districts are installing electric hand dryers to replace paper towels. Mr. Widvey will get price quotes from electricians for the purchase and installation of hand dryers.
5. Mr. Widvey suggested setting a date and time to canvass the election ballots.
A motion was made by Werner and seconded by Kruse to canvass the election ballots on Friday, November 8th at 8:00 a.m. Motion carried.
6. A discussion took place regarding an alert system to notify parents of late starts, school closings, etc.
There being no further business Chairman Cliff Schilling called for a motion to adjourn. A motion was made by Goedken and seconded by Schilling to adjourn. Motion carried. The meeting adjourned at 9:08 p.m.
Ellsworth District 514 School Board Clerk